The love of my Life

The love of my Life
The Shade of my Heart <3

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Happy Birthday!

"Thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.  
I will praise Thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: 
Marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.  
My substance was not his from Thee, when I was made in secret,
and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.  
Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect;
and in Thy book all my members were written."  
~Psalm 139:13b-16a

  These verses have been read and reread by me countless time in the last 5 years.  Today is January 25.  Five years ago, my life was change forever.  My beautiful daughter, who I will call C, was born and diagnosed with Down Syndrome.
   I was working at the Nursing Home and was 32 weeks pregnant with our first child.  At about 9:30 in the morning, I felt something warm and wet trickle down my legs.  I froze....  My water broke.  After I had locked myself in a bathroom, 2 of my bosses finally convinced me that this was serious, and I needed to go to the hospital.  One of them drove me to the city hospital where I was taken to the emergency room to be examined.  
  By this time, my husband arrived and was by my side.  It had only been about 30 minutes since my water broke, and I was already contracting every 2 minutes and was dilated to 7 cm. 
  The first plan was to have me airlifted to a bigger hospital an hour away and try to stop the contractions.  Now, since I was at a 7, plan B was to bring me up the the delivery room in the hospital I was in.  
   Things moved along very quickly, and 2 hours later, our beautiful baby girl was born.  Because she was 8 weeks early, the nurses were concerned and spent a lot of time examining her and making sure she was healthy.  
   Maybe 10 or 15 minutes after she was born, I was finally able to hold her.  She needed to wear an oxygen mask, but my baby girl was so beautiful.  As I looked at her tiny face and fingers and marveled at the gift of life, one of the nurses sat next to me, and changed my life forever.
  "Your baby has several features that makes us believe that she has Down Syndrome.  We will do a blood test to verify, and the results will be back with in a week."
   I was stunned.  I didn't know what to say, or what to think.  How could this be, and what exactly is Down Syndrome?   
  During the next several minutes,  the flight team from the larger hospital took C in a traveling incubator and left.  My labor room went from busy with doctors and nurses from 2 hospitals, to silent, within about 30 minutesMy husband and I just stared at each other in silence and shock.
  A week went by with many prayers and visitors.  The test came back positive.  My beautiful daughter was born with Down Syndrome. She would always be this way.  She would always be different.  She would always have a label.  

  The weeks and months that followed were met with many challenges, frustrations, and moments of pure joy.  God upheld us through it all.  He was always our constant, even though our lives and emotions changed daily.  

  One thing that I can say in all honesty and confidence.  We were never angry about C having Downs.  Confused and scared, yes, but never angry or spiteful.  
  I knew from the minute I held her and heard the news, that God has a wonderful purpose for her life.  She is now 5 and potty trained.  She can talk, walk, dress herself, count to 10, recognize colors and letters and numbers just like others kids her age.  She is so special, and boy, can she Love!

  God has already used her in our lives.  She definitely made our young marriage stronger.  My faith is stronger.  I am in awe at God's power and wisdom, and I am reminded every day, that God does not make mistakes.  C is not a mistake.  She is not a 'fluke' like the doctors tried to tell us.  God planned for her to be this way from eternity.  C is a beautiful blessing and example of God's purpose in every person's life.  
   I am truly honored and humbled that God chose me and G to be her parents here on earth.  She is such a beautiful and special child, and it has been a wonderful calling to be her mother.  I know God has big plans for her life.  I know she will make an impact on other people's lives.  I'm excited to be a part of her life and see the amazing things God will use her for.  


  Today, I rejoice in the birth of my firstborn.  I rejoice in her differences.  I rejoice in the plan God has for her life.  I rejoice that I am her mother.
   God is great, and today, I am reminded of how richly He has blessed my life!
 

3 comments:

  1. Great blog, friend! Thanks for sharing!!! Blogging is definitely a great way to process everything happening in life. I have found over the years that I learn so much about myself through blogging and processing through my fingers typing on the computer! This will be a great thing too as you go through the ups and downs of what lies ahead for you and your family!

    ~~Laura Downey~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful entry- words and beautiful little girl! I remember visiting her in the hospital!!! :) Thinking of you!!

    Heidi Ragsdale

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank-you for the blog, Sarah. It's allowing me to look deeply into your heart. And I like what I see.

    C has already been a huge blessing to me and I'm looking forward to more! It made me cry when I read this entry. It's hard to believe that this precious grandchild is five already.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete